111

Thursday 19 September 2019

Any recourse to living persons information on genealogy sites?

answers1: No it's not, I think its a gross invasion of their privacy.
In this country we are governed by the "data protection act". There
are things like leaving someone wide open to "identity theft", I know
I wouldn't want to be responsible for causing this to happen to
someone for the sake of two points and I wouldn't like to think some
one had done it to me either.
answers2: Even though Ancestry has a disclaimer, it does not prevent
you from asking them to remove the offending piece, they may still
refuse, but there is nothing lost by asking, otherwise, sadly, I think
there is probably very little else that you can do.
answers3: I've only run into someone like that on Ancestry once. But I
fought Ancestry.com on their own terms. I published my research in a
professional journal and this person stole it and republished it
without permission. My attorney sent them a bill for $30,000 for
copyright infringement. They tried to claim that they were immune from
that, but my attorney pointed out that they were charging people to
access family trees and receiving compensation for my research without
my permission. They pulled the tree and the woman in question was
banned from their site. <br>
<br>
I can't guarantee that there's much you can do if the information
isn't copyrighted. But if they are publishing information about a
living person, I would send Ancestry a notice that they are violating
their own privacy rules by publishing information about living people.
Here's the actual passage that I would use from the Terms of Service
to get Ancestry to remove the information: <br>
<br>
"We will not edit or monitor user provided content, with the exception
that, to promote privacy, an automated filtering tool will be used to
suppress, and omit from display, information submitted to the tree
areas of the site which appears to pertain to a LIVING person. We also
reserves the right to remove any user provided content that comes to
our attention and that we believe, in our sole discretion, is illegal,
obscene, indecent, DEFAMATORY, incites racial or ethnic hatred or
violates the rights of others, or is in any other way objectionable. "
<br>
<br>
You'll have to point out every person who is still alive and insist
through Customer Service that the information get removed. Mention
that your family was manipulated into giving this information and that
you repeatedly tried contacting the other subscriber to have it
removed, but to no avail. It's probable that the other person's email
on file is old and they're not even getting your emails, but Customer
Service can and should edit it for you.
answers4: You're right; Ancestry simply own the site, but it's down to
the individuals to edit their information. That's what you agree to in
their terms and conditions. I'm afraid I don't know too much about the
legislations for this, but I assume your country have some freedom of
information laws that may work for you. In the UK I know the laws are
strict, so it would be worth reading up about it if you're British.
Perhaps re-post this question in the law category for a better idea.
Good luck, it's not nice to be the victim to trash being written about
your family.
answers5: I wish I knew; every one of my siblings (6 in all) as well
as myself are listed in various genealogy trees. Much of the
information is erroneous (names, dates, etc.) (One of my uncles died
10 days before I was born; my Mom could not attend her brother's
funeral...but in some of these genealogy sites, he is listed as dying
in the 1980s!) <br>
The only suggestion I have is to contact a lawyer.
answers6: I have contacted people regarding erroneous information. I
don't press the issue if they don't change it. <br>
<br>
However, if the erroneous information is slanderous, I feel you
should. Also, if it is dealing with living persons, I think you can
press the issue with Ancestry.Com. On their Ancestry World Tree, for
instance, they will change a person's name to "Living" <br>
if they were born 1930 and later. Sometimes they slip up. On the
Public Member Tree the only time a person can see a living person's
name is if you have invited that person to view your tree. You can go
ahead and put their name in but the system will make them "Living
Smith" if you do not show they have died.
answers7: You could put the correct information on the same web site
and disprove the other's incorrect data.Some people just have no
class,check the privacy laws in your respective states. Public
records are allowed but private is a grey area. Get a laywer to issue
a letter requesting her information pertaining to the hurtful
information be removed. Sue for slander if your reputation has been
damaged.There is so much MISINFORMATION on the internet and people
take it as truth,if they don't check the sources,shame on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment