111

Sunday 8 September 2019

why male authors write about male characters and why female authors write about female characters?

answers1: have you ever read anything by S.E. Hinton? She's a really
good author and most (if not all) of her books are written from the
male point of view. I actually though the author was a guy until i
learned S.E. standed for Susan Eloise. I really enjoyed those books...
the outsiders is my favorite.
answers2: I don't think this is true at all actually. While it may be
easier for authors to write main characters of their own gender, I
don't think that a good author needs to or does stick with one gender
for their protagonist. <br>
I can think of many many examples of authors writing main characters
of the opposite gender. <br>
A few famous ones: <br>
Harry Potter - J.K. Rowling <br>
Carrie - Stephen King <br>
Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice <br>
The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand <br>
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley <br>
<br>
These are a few examples of books you might recognize - I can think of
any number of examples but you might not have heard of the books or
authors. (Un-Lun-Dun by China Mieville, A Hatful of Sky by Terry
Pratchett, The Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne Jones,
Abhorsen by Garth Nix etc.) <br>
<br>
A good author is a student of human behavior and will adequately be
able to represent both genders. If they're just better at one gender
or the other, of course it makes sense to stick with it. But I don't
think that writing about one's own gender is a trend really.
answers3: men know men better and women know women better.
answers4: It's because who knows males better than a male and who
knows females better than a female? People write about their own
gender because that's what they know about. If I, a girl, were to
write about the experiences of a guy, I wouldn't be able to fully
grasp and explain those emotions because I wouldn't know them. <br>
It's just easier to write about what you know and experience.
answers5: The old adage of "write what you know" holds true here. Most
of my characters are male (as am I), but the heroes of my stories are
usually female! This reflects my life; I've always found it easier to
be friends with women, and for the most part I think guys are kinda
dorky.
answers6: I think its easier to go with what you know but my 2
favorite authors, JK and Nora Roberts both write from male
perspective.. Harry Potter and then Nora writes a lot of stories that
flit between male and female perspective.. I cant say I know many men
who write from a female POV tho..

No comments:

Post a Comment