111

Friday 5 June 2020

My dentist is unable to numb my mouth for treatment. What now? Dental Professionals only.?  

My dentist is unable to numb my mouth for treatment. What now? Dental Professionals only.?  

answers 0:Well over 20 years ago I had a cavity filled in a molar on the left bottom. After that filling I have had on and off again pain in that tooth. One day it would be painful and the next day I had no pain at all. Repeated x-rays showed no decay so as the years have gone by I simply taken something for the pain when it flared up. Recently, the tooth cracked and the pain became more frequently but not overwhelming but my dentist said I need a root canal. When I went in for the procedure, I received 8 shots but my mouth did not become numb. As a test, my dentist gave me a shot on the right side and I immediately felt it working. So, I haven't had the tooth treated. At my last dental appointment, my dentist said I needed to do something! about this tooth. What actually am I suppose to do? I couldn't tolerate a root canal without it being numb. I don't know if it is related but I suffer from nerve pain on the left side of my head as the result of brain surgery which was performed in 1998....Show moreanswers 1:a basic cleaning no, but if you need deep cleaning for periodontal disease, then they numb it. I know how you feel, for years I was so afraid of dentist and then I started to feel like I had the beginnings of a cavity so instead of waiting for it get to bad and need emergency service I went in. I ended up needing the tooth pulled. I was so so scared and then when I got the shot it was like the tiniest feeling, like a mosquito bites hurts more. The worst part is just the numb feeling. Then when he was pulling to tooth, I said how long will it take and he had already done it. So since then I needed 2 root canals and it is nothing. I got myself so worked up for so many years about nothing. So I would sa! y dont worry, it is nothing and once you go you will be like w! hat was I worried about. Also, whenever I am doing something that I dont like, I always think that right now while I am worried about a little bitty pain from my teeth someone else is sitting in a hospital room dealing with cancer or a muscular disease or terrible injuries and that helps me to put my situation in perspective. Hope this helps....answers 2:I am only a dental hygiene student so hopefully one of the dentists on here will answer this for you but I'll try. I'm thinking that it's possible that when you went in for the treatment you had an active infection that may have made it more difficult for the local anaesthetic to numb the area. Your dentist could maybe try putting you on an antibiotic before the treatment and then try again. Also, what medications are you on? There are some drugs that can cause local anaesthetic to be less effective....answers 3:You can always go somewhere that they will put you to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment